NurembergWest Town ›  

Werderau

District 46  
Volckamer Platz (1),  2010

Volckamer Platz (1), 2010

Since 1919 the workers' settlement of the engineering works "MAN" had been formed on the area of "Gibitzenhof".

Volckamerstrasse / Volckamer Platz,  2010

Volckamerstrasse / Volckamer Platz, 2010

The district "Werderau" is named after the meritorious MAN-constructor Johann Ludwig Werder (1808-1885).

Volckamer Platz (2),  2010

Volckamer Platz (2), 2010

Since the 13th century the Nuremberg patrician family "Volckamer" is known. But it might be that the name of this marketplace is destined to commemorate the natural scientist Dr. Johann Volckamer of the 17th century.

Volckamerstrasse (1),  2010

Volckamerstrasse (1), 2010

In the centre of the semicircular arranged buildings of the "Volckamer Platz" there is this extraordinary gateway.

Volckamerstrasse (2),  2010

Volckamerstrasse (2), 2010

Right from the beginning the "Werderau Inn" was designated for this overly quiet dwelling zone.

Hoffmannstrasse,  2010

Hoffmannstrasse, 2010

Formed by ideas of the garden city the district manifests structures, which are very similar to the Baroque style.

Hoffmannstrasse / Volckamer Platz,  2010

Hoffmannstrasse / Volckamer Platz, 2010

Just the less spectacular back of the "Volckamer Platz" shows clearly what is meant with the idea of the garden city.

Spießstrasse,  2010

Spießstrasse, 2010

The Nuremberg professor Ernst Spiess (1837-1894) was a renowned member of the "Naturhistorische Gesellschaft".  

Forsterstrasse,  2010

Forsterstrasse, 2010

The Franconian doctor and composer Georg Forster (16th century) and the botanist Georg Christian von Forster (18th - 19th century) are sharing the name of this secluded quiet place.

Kleemannstrasse, 2010

Kleemannstrasse, 2010

The tranquil lane is oriented to the telecommunication tower and the endearing house at the "Forsterstrasse".